Labels

Saturday, 31 July 2010

Sportsman performs circumcisions, WTF


I've been a bit MIA from the intactivist community recently. But as I flicked through my Facebook updates this morning I saw this:





That's right, an American football player travelled to the Philippines to circumcise young boys, and thought he was doing them a favour.

Quote:

“The first time, it was nerve-racking,” he said. “Hands were shaking a little bit. I mean, I’m cutting somebody. You can’t do those kinds of things in the United States. But those people really needed the surgeries. We needed to help them.”


Now, the whole concept of a SPORTSMAN, untrained in medical procedures, operating on these children aside. The bolded text above is what really bothers me.

Someone explain how exactly these children needed these surgeries?

Now, I'm betting it's something to do with HIV. So these children are out there having risky sex without condoms and they're at risk from HIV are they?

Um, didn't think so. So why exactly is it somehow charity work, needed, for these children to have a circumcision performed by a football player who thinks he's doing some sort of charity work? I mean, for them to actually need the surgery, you'd think perhaps there was some medical indication? Do these kids have foreskin gangrene, or cancer? Frostbite? Or is it yet again, an American pushing the cultural obsession with the foreskin onto children from another country?

Hey, but let's not forget that Filipinos already circumcise their children in traditional ceremonies at 9-12 years of age. There has been a string of deaths related to traditional circumcision schools elsewhere.
So, perhaps Mr Tebow circumcising children in a sterile setting is saving these kids from a worse fate. Can you imagine if he went to Africa and performed "ritual nicks" on young girls to save them a worse fate in traditional FGM? The uproar, quite rightly would be heard everywhere. Yet in circumcising male children, Tebow is some sort of hero. What the fuck.

4 comments:

  1. Circumcision is unnecessary and barbaric thing to do to a boy. To circumcise an 9 to 12 year old is cruel and in my opinion child abuse. I was circumcised against my will when I was 12 and suffered for it. No boy should have to be force or coerced into a totally unnecessary surgical procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add though that IMO, it's cruel to circumcise a boy of any age. Just because babies do not remember does not mean it's okay to do it. (Not that you were saying that, but some people do)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a hero? WTF? So apparently maiming a child is relevant and necessary. Please!

    ReplyDelete